Our teaching requirements vary from course to course and program to program, but all candidates must possess the following:
- A master’s or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or international equivalent in the subject you’d like to teach.
- Current knowledge and experience in your related work field.
Our selection process
If you have what it takes to become University of Phoenix faculty, we’re excited to meet you! Successful completion of our five-phase selection process culminates with a teaching position. (Please note: All candidates must go through the entire program regardless of previous and/or current experience as a faculty member at another college or university.)
- Preliminary Evaluation
- Resume Review
- Online Video Interview
- Content Interview
- If asked to continue through the selection process, you would meet with a subject matter expert in your field of expertise. Often this interview is with the Dean of the College you’re interest in, or it may be with a chairman or facility development chairman.
- Materials Collection
- If asked to submit your official transcripts, certifications, and licensure, you’ve impressed us! (Please note: You will be responsible for obtaining all requested materials and for incurring any associated costs. Often, we ask for expedited delivery of transcripts.)
- New Faculty Certification Program
- Now it’s time to roll up your sleeves and participate in our self-paced certification program, which starts the first of each month and runs for 28 consecutive days. This program will teach you how to teach and it will explain University philosophy, available resources, policies, and faculty expectations.
- Approximately 10-15 hours in duration, this online program may be completed at your preferred pace. If it’s an on-campus position you’ve applied for, you will also be asked to schedule a one (1) day campus visit that typically mimics a class schedule of 6pm-10pm.
- Pending a positive recommendation from the certification facilitator and staff, you’ll be invited to advance to Phase 5: Mentorship & Instructional Evaluation. (Please note: Once you have been selected to advance, a contingent offer of employment is extended and a criminal and credit background check is initiated, which may take several weeks to complete.)
- Mentorship & Instructional Evaluation
During the final phase of our selection process, you’ll be assigned a mentor to help guide you through your first class. Your mentor will be a seasoned, senior faculty member who will:
- Spend two (2) weeks of preparation time with you to help you prepare for your first course.
- Shadow you while you teach your course.
- Communicate with you throughout the course, providing supervision and feedback.
When your course concludes, a one (1) week evaluation period takes place. During this time you’ll post student grades and receive final feedback from your mentor. (Please note: You’ll be compensated at the full rate of the course for Mentorship & Instructional Evaluation.)
Once all five phases are complete, you may be invited to become a faculty member at the University of Phoenix!